Butter crocks have been in use in parts of Europe dating back to the Middle Ages, long before reliable refrigeration was available. These airtight ceramic vessels prevented butter from spoiling while keeping it at a reasonable temperature. The stoneware butter crock is inspired by classic crock designs, blocking out air that can ruin butter, while approximating room temperature to keep the butter soft without melting.
- High-quality exterior enamel protects against metal marks and other damage
- Hard-wearing, impermeable finish fired at temperatures as high as 2192ºF is safe for cutting on with knives
- Less than 1% porosity, blocking moisture absorption which can lead to cracking, crazing and rippling along the interior
- Unique clay mixture creates a very dense material when fired, maintaining even temperatures and preventing scorching
- Resistant to staining and flavor/odor absorption
- A virtually nonstick glazed interior that easily releases foods for quick cleanup
- A perfectly color-matched palette of bold, consistent tones for easy mixing and matching with other Le Creuset products